Monday, October 21, 2013

Homemade Granola

Each day, I eat a combination of Trader Joe's nonfat Greek yogurt and their goat yogurt, with a tablespoon of my homemade granola mixed in and a few dashes of cinnamon. I love the slightly tart, slightly goaty taste that is slightly sweetened by the crunch of the granola.

I started making my own granola, because the ones you buy in the US are very sweet and high in calories. I discovered a mixture I love at the Borough Market in London (http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/mini-magoos-2) called Fun Stuff. But since I can't pop to that market regularly, my sister and I created a recipe that has the same ingredients but with the addition of oats. I doubt my quantities are quite the same but we've hit upon a tasty recipe that comes in at 29 calories a tablespoon.

Feel free to experiment! On a recent batch, I threw in dried pomegranate seeds. I usually don't put in dried fruit, but this did taste good (added calories though!). If you like yours sweeter you could up the syrup or substitute honey if you like. It helps if you have a kitchen scale as some of the quantities are given by weight rather than volume.

Lee and Cathy's Granola:
Amount
Agave syrup 1 T
Unsweetend coconut chips 2 oz
Oats 1 cup
Raw sunflower seeds 1.25 oz
Raw sliced almonds 1/4 cup
Raw pepitas 1/4 cup
Hemp seeds .5 oz
Organic flax seed 1 oz
Cinnamon 2 tsp

Mix them all together in a large bowl and then spread on an ungreased jelly roll pan. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, checking after about 10 minutes and stirring. Let it cool in the pan and then store in a glass jar or air tight container. 

No comments:

Post a Comment