Sunday, February 16, 2014

Organization plus Coconut Meringue Recipe!

The other day I wanted to make something that I had posted the recipe of in this blog and realized it would be a lot easier to find the recipes if I made an index. So that's what I did today...if you look at the top bar of the blog you'll see a "Recipe Index" page, where I've organized the recipes under broad categories (Happy Hour, Dinner Time and Desserts) and within each category they are listed by the LIOT method (Last In On Top). If you click on the recipe name you'll be taken directly to the blog post that contains the recipe.

We entertained this weekend and I made a wonderful Beef Bourguinon, which I started on Thursday when we were snowed in. For dessert I made a burnt caramel pudding with Coconut Meringues on the side since I had leftover egg whites from the pudding. The meringue recipe is another one of my mom's. It is so easy. This time in addition to the plain coconut meringues, I also dipped some in semisweet chocolate that I had melted. My husband said it tasted like a airy mounds bar! So here you go:

Kate's Coconut Meringues:


  • 2 egg whites
  • dash of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2/3 cup sugar (extra fine if you have it)
  • 1 1/3 cup sweetener shredded coconut
  1. Beat the egg whites, salt & vanilla till soft peaks form.
  2. Gradually add the sugar, beating till stiff.
  3. Fold in the coconut.
  4. Drop by rounded teaspoon onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat.
  5. Bake in 325 degree oven for 20 minutes. Then turn the oven off and leave the cookies in the oven for at least one hour.
  6. Store in a tightly sealed container.
If you want to dip in chocolate, melt half a bag of semisweet bits in a small bowl and gently dip the cooled meringues in the chocolate. Let the covered meringues cool on the counter until the chocolate is hard (you can put them in the frig for a few minutes if you want to speed it up).

No comments:

Post a Comment