Monday, February 3, 2014

The weather outside is frightful...

Another winter wonderland...it's 11:30am and we already have over five inches of snow! It's the really heavy stuff, that looks beautiful but destroys the limbs of the trees. Hopefully the power lines will stay in tact. No more waxing poetic about the beauty of the snow...enough already! Something is out of kilter; California is running out of drinking water from the drought and we've had record amounts of snow in Philadelphia. Rather than going into a rant about climate change, as I try to stay away from divisive issues (like science!), I'll offer up a recipe I invented this past week.
I am an inveterate leftover hoarder. I hate to throw away food. I especially get a sense of satisfaction when I can repurpose food and turn it into something new. I made some baked apples from an Eating Well recipe,  http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/baked_apples_with_dried_fruits_walnuts.html and had leftover filling (the dried fruits & walnuts). It's been in my fridge for several weeks and I kept thinking I should do something with it. I also still have some apples from the growers market in the basement frig, so viola, I've created "Sauteed Apples"! It's a really simple, relatively light recipe, that uses stuff that is probably in your house. Just the thing to pull together in a snow storm and eat in front of the fire.

Sauteed Apples, Serves 2

Ingredients:
1T butter
1.5 med apples sliced thin
1 oz Apple Jack (or cider, or Calvados, or brandy)
Squirt of honey, 1 T or so
Cinnamon
Dried fruit & walnut mix from Eating Well recipe "baked apples with Dried Fruit & Walnuts", see above link, or just chop up some walnuts, mix with cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon rind and some chopped dried cranberries.

  1. Melt butter in 10" non stick skillet over medium heat.
  2. Added thinly sliced apples and sauté in the butter until tender and lightly browned
  3. Add Apple Jack and cook, stirring constantly as it is absorbed into apples. Turn heat down to low.
  4. Add squirt of honey to taste plus shakes of cinnamon. 
  5. Add a few tablespoons of the dried fruit & walnut topping to the apples in the pan and stir so that the crumbs are well distributed.
  6. Serve in small bowls....add vanilla ice cream if desired though not needed; it's delicious without. Would also be good mixed with greek yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment